Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Egg Muffins: The Spinach Experiment

It is a fantastic source of iron and calcium.  It was a food item I went out of my way to avoid as a child.  It is a staple food in Popeye's diet.  Folks, I'm talking about spinach.  While I wouldn't touch the stuff as a kid, I can't get enough of it now.  I know it's good for me.  I mix it into meat sauces and stews.  I wilt it and serve it as as side dish.  I make it the green, leafy foundation of a salad.  And, now I'm eating it for breakfast.

This week, I decided to turn my recipe for my batch of egg muffins on its ear... meaning more veg, less meat. Using my normal template for egg muffins, I came up with...


Spinach and Bacon Egg Muffins
Makes 12 egg muffins
1 lb bag of frozen spinach, thawed and wilted
1 tablespoon of hot sauce
4-6 pieces of cooked bacon, crumbled

Prepare these as you would any of the other egg muffin variations, but this time around, the veg is outnumbering the meat.  After wilting the spinach and letting it cool, wring out the excess liquid in a clean kitchen towel (or some heavy duty paper towels).  Mix the spinach and hot sauce in with a dozen beaten eggs and season with salt and pepper to taste.  After pouring the eggs into a greased muffin pan, sprinkle the top of each raw muffin with the bacon crumbles.

These turned out to be even better than I thought they would.  I still get start my day with eggs and bacon.  I'm just adding more green, leafy vegetables into my diet with very little added effort.

Mom was right... Spinach won't kill me.

No comments:

Post a Comment