Thursday, March 15, 2012

Apple Cinnamon Bites

These little guys are in a freezer bag tucked away in my backpack as I wander around PaleoFX.  I kind of wish there was a time activated sensor that rationed these out to me... then I wouldn't need "self-control."  While they certainly aren't cookies in a traditional sense (no sugar, flour, etc.), eating them in excess will still not do me favors.  Eating almonds, apples and raisins are all better for you than cookies... but you can easily eat too many of those things as well.

I thought about naming these Cinnamon Raisin Apple Paleos... but they taste way better than that acronym would imply.  To make these...

Apple Cinnamon Bites
Makes approximately 20

What you'll need:

An oven preheated to 350
Mixing bowl
Baking sheet
Parchment paper
Small "ice cream" scoop

Ingredients:

1 cup almond butter
1 cup apple, chopped fine
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, chopped fine
1 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs

Combine the almond butter, chopped apples, raisins, coconut, cinnamon and eggs (all ingredients) in the mixing bowl.  Stir until well incorporated.  Depending on the density of the almond butter, this could take a little bit of time and muscle (or a few second on low power in the microwave to soften it up a bit).

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  I this thing that looks like a small ice cream scoop to portion out the mix.  It probably has a name.  I don't bake... or know what to call it.  You could use a spoon, I guess.  Each scoop/spoonful is about 2-3 tablespoons worth.  Drop the scoops onto the baking sheet with about 1/2 space between each one (no baking powder/soda... no spreading).  Press each one down with your fingers (or the back of the scoop/spoon) to flatten.

Place the baking sheet in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes... or until they reach your desired level of browning.  Remove from the oven and let cool.  Enjoy.


Ladies and gentlemen, Apple Cinnamon Bites.

No comments:

Post a Comment