Monday, April 16, 2012

"Horchata" Protein Shake


Horchata is a sweet Mexican rice milk... somewhat of an "agua fresca." The homemade stuff you'll find in little taquerias all across this state is made with rice, milk... and sugar.  Hmmm... at least one of these things strikes me as "not very paleo or primal."


One of the guys I work with comes up to me and asks where I got the horchata I'm drinking. I looked down at my protein "shake" and thought about correcting him. But, after thinking about it for a half second... the way I mix my protein looks, smells, and kind of tastes like horchata. So, this is either an accidental recipe for faux horchata or an intentional recipe for how I drink my protein.

"Horchata" Protein Shake
(makes 1 serving)

12 oz water
1 1/2 scoops of vanilla flavored 365 Whey Protein Powder
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 packet stevia
8 oz ice cubes

In 12 ounces of water, shake or mix the protein powder, cinnamon and stevia until well combined.  When all is mixed well, add ice cubes and shake a few times to chill the drink.  Enjoy.
I find what I've described above to be a nice, occasional sweet refreshment for the times I find myself hungry between meals.  While you can use whatever type of protein powder you desire (check servings/measurements), I'm going to recommend the vanilla flavored 365 Whey Protein Powder available at most Whole Foods Markets.  I came to use this brand after a lot of price comparisons and label searches.  You don't have to look far to find some overpriced protein powders... nor do you have to look much further to find ones with insane amounts of added sugars and gut bacteria killing artificial sweeteners.  While the 365 vanilla is sweetened with "sweet dairy whey," the chocolate variety has added glucose.

2 comments:

  1. Good work…unique blog and interesting too… keep it up…looking forward for more updates.vega protein smoothie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this post it is really helpful. Apart from this you can also try this Gold Top Organics ORGANIC GOLDEN FLAX SEED WHOLE, What makes flax stand out above other whole grains is its mix of fibre. Rather than containing large amounts of one type of fibre, flax seeds contain generous quantities of both soluble and insoluble fibre. Flax tastes good and adds all the fibre of whole grains to foods.
    ORGANIC GOLDEN FLAX SEED WHOLE

    ReplyDelete