Sunday, October 16, 2011

In The Beginning...

In the beginning… I weighed in at 217 pounds.  At least, that’s what the scale said the last time I made the effort to stand on it.  Who knows? I may have packed on a few more pounds with stress eating in the days that followed.  But for the purpose of measurement and tracking, 217 was my starting point.


I was being overwhelmed by intense migraines, seasonal allergies, monthly sinus infections, scalp conditions, lack of energy, constant GI issues, weak joints, and a litany of other complaints. And, measuring in at somewhere between 35 and 40% body fat, I was disgusted at the sight of myself in the mirror.  To put it simply, I was sick and tired of being fat, sick and tired.  At my breaking point, I finally started making efforts to move in a healthier direction and haven’t gone back.

The efforts I made in the beginning weren’t the best choices, but they were a start.  Almost any “health” related choice was an improvement to my sedentary, drive-thru lifestyle.  The more I read, the more I listened to others who had been in my shoes, and the more time I spent in my kitchen… the more refined my attack on my obesity became.  And the fat started coming off more steadily.

After a number of daily life changes, some subtle and some dramatic, I now live what is referred to as a Primal lifestyle.  I don’t remember ever feeling better having lost 45 pounds so far, and reducing my body fat down to almost 20%.  I feel better, faster and stronger with each passing week.  In the coming days and weeks, I will use this platform to share some of the things that have worked for me and some of the things that have not.  I hope to have more positive results to share as well, as I realize that I am a work in progress.  I know I always will be.  I just want to make sure I’m progressing forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment