Thursday, January 19, 2012

Easy to Pack Snacks

CrossFit White Rock has started another Whole30 challenge.  While I am not participating in this one, there seem to be dozens of folks who are… many for the first time.  And with their first plunge into a paleo lifestyle, they have a lot of questions.  What to eat at meal times seems easy enough, but what about all the time in between?  “What am I supposed to snack on?”  I prep and pack my breakfast, lunch and snacks for the week on Sunday.  While I make sure I have two snacks each day, I don’t always eat them both.  Listed below are some of the many things that appear in my lunch bag.


Almonds
Macadamia nuts
Walnuts
Pecans
Sunflower seeds
Pumpkin seeds
Nut butters (almond, walnut, and pecan are awesome)
Coconut butter
Unsweetened coconut flakes
Eggs… hard boiled… maybe wrapped in bacon

Canned tuna (I mix in a little bit of German mustard)
Sliced, uncured deli meat
Guacamole/avocados
Sliced veggies (celery, carrots, bell pepper, cucumbers)
Pickles (check the ingredients)
The occasional Larabar (no added sugar or sweeteners, but watch the carbs on these as they are mostly dried fruit)
Most of these things don't require a whole lot of skill or prep time, either.  A few plastic baggies, two hands and a couple of minutes to portion things out.  I'll put a little bit of emphasis on the portioning out part of that.  I could just keep a 12-16 oz. bag of almonds at my desk... but I know that I am more than capable of eating 4+ servings if they are just sitting there and I am mindlessly grazing on them.  But if I portion that bag out into 1 oz. baggies before the week starts, I know I won't OD on them.
Let me know if there is an easy, paleo/primal snack that I can add to my lunch bag rotation as I am always looking for new ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment