Sunday, December 11, 2011

So Delicious Mint Mocha


It’s that time of year.  It’s cold.  The calendar is filling up quickly. And by default, I’m already behind on my Christmas shopping.  It’s not that I don’t enjoy weaving my way through the crowded masses at the malls as I search for the perfect gifts for my wife and family… There are really quite a few things about the adventure that I enjoy.  Near the top of the list of “Things I Like About Christmas Shopping” is the peppermint mocha.  In my book, it tastes like Christmas.  It’s warm… countering the chill on the air.  It’s sweet… in contrast to the bitter attitudes of some of my fellow shoppers.  And it’s caffeinated.
In years past, before hitting the stores I would make a swing through a Starbucks drive-thru and shell out almost $5 for a warm cup of cheer.  According to the Starbucks Nutrition page, here’s what I was paying for…
Grande (16 oz.) Peppermint Mocha with whole milk, no whip:

360 calories, 11 grams of fat, 60 grams of carbohydrates, 12 grams of protein
My pancreas and liver just gasped at the sight of those numbers.  There are entire days that pass by where I don’t take in 60 grams of carbohydrates!  But wait… What if I ordered the “new” Skinny Peppermint Mocha that their marketing team is serving up?
Grande (16 oz.) Skinny Peppermint Mocha with skim milk, no whip:

130 calories, 1.5 grams of fat, 17 grams of carbohydrates, 13 grams of protein
Well, I suppose that is an improvement in one area. But, do you really want to wage war on the good bacteria that live in your digestive tract?  All things considered, I can do even better.
Enter “So Delicious Mint Chip.”  You will find it next to ice cream in your freezer section.  It is technically a “non-dairy frozen dessert.”  So Delicious is made with coconut milk and sweetened with agave syrup.  While agave syrup isn’t something to consume mass quantities of on a regular basis, it is certainly better than what Starbucks is sweetening their mochas with.  Look at this concoction as an occasional indulgence.


All that needs to be done:
Mix ¼ cup of So Delicious Mint Chip into a steaming cup of your favorite black coffee.
Done.  Start sipping… and enjoying.  The So Delicious Mint Chip Mocha totals up at 87 calories, 4.5 grams of fat, 10 grams of carbohydrates and half a gram of protein.  And, it comes out quite a bit cheaper than Starbucks.  One pint of So Delicious will run you just under $6… and can be used to make 8 drinks. Eight grande Peppermint Mochas at Starbucks will cost you… um, a lot.  I doubt you can get 8 of anything there for less than $6.  I’d run up to Starbucks and check, but why bother when I have this in my hands?

Ladies and gentlemen, the So Delicious Mint Mocha.

No comments:

Post a Comment